Monday, September 19, 2011

Athens, Greece

I'm posting part 1 (of 4) of photos from our trip to Greece this September.
Two days in Athens (mainland) and two days on each of the islands: Mykonos, Paros and Santorini. Relatively mild September weather was a great plus, although Athens were too dry and hot even for a California girl.

After four previous trips to Greece we could consider ourselves seasoned travelers but still, we got a different taste of the way of life. We landed at 3 am at the airport, checked into the hotel in Pireus (port serving Athens and the part of "fingered" peninsula), only to find that Metro (subway) is on strike. We had to take a bus and fortunately, Acropolis wasn't that far so we were there on time for some beautiful sunrise photos.

For an average visitor, to see Athens in 3 or 4 days is enough. For a crazy person who only photographs in the morning and evening and fills the rest of the day hanging around caf├ęs and tavernas - much more.
(I am not ashamed that one of the high points of our visits to Greece is local food!)
I want to get a photograph of Acropolis, bathing in the morning sun from the opposite hill, and I want to see famous Municipal Cemetery. Oh well, the next time. From Prague, it's only 2.5 hours flight.

Photos - part 1 - HERE.


picturesque streets under Acropolis



former market (agora), a museum today

Temple of Aphaia, Aegina Island

evening in port of Pireus
4 comments :
  1. Gorgeous photos Romy!!!! Greece is just a wonderful country and the islands are just spectacular - can't wait to see those pictures too!!
    And by the way.... I also LOVE the food there!
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Romy....TFS! Hanging out for your remaining installments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I finally could come and I'm so happy I did! As usual, your photos are wonderdul! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pictures are so beautiful !!!
    I went there in 2001, and I'm in love with your pictures...♥

    ReplyDelete